Welcome!

This is the place I try to make my creative visions match the physical world.. watch while I sometimes fail and sometimes succeed!

Friday, March 9, 2012

Rag Quilt

I started a rag quilt awhile ago, my first one. I used the AccuQuilt Baby Go.
I really like the machine. It's especially good for people like me with wrist problems. I have a few different templates and I loved the idea of the rag template.
I probably should have made one rag quilt by hand first, just to experience it, but I jumped in with both feet and used the Go to cut out my squares. It was super easy to do and I was quite excited about the whole thing.

Duh-duh-duhhhhh

Then I tried to sew them together and it became a nightmare! Picture me ripping my hair out again and again! And ripping out seams as soon as I sewed them. As soon as those fringes started to stand up it was impossible to sew! I finally tore everything apart and started again from the very beginning, ironing after every line I sewed together. Even then it was hard! I think in this case doing rag quilts by hand might be easier then using the GO template. The only thing it might be good with is flannel (maybe?)

So the last few days I forced myself to finish it... it was painful... and yet I kind of love it... it's got a nice weight to it and currently it's been washed once (in a pillowcase to take care of some of the shedding threads) and it will be washed a few more times I think...



You can see the complete madness of sewing this together!!

And here is the finished product!

No comments: